Skip to main content

Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary: Sept. 8th 


Did you know that the Roman Catholic Church only celebrates three people's birthdays during the liturgical year? Jesus' birthday is celebrated on Christmas Day, the Virgin Mary's birthday is celebrated September 8th, and John the Baptist's birthday is celebrated on June 24th. 

To celebrate Mary's birthday, my family made white cake topped with whipped-cream and blueberries to represent her purity. We then added a birthday candle and sang happy birthday to the Blessed Mother. We also decorated homemade paper party hats and made a paper chain as party decorations. Celebrating Mary's birthday with a birthday cake is a great way to help your children see their spiritual mother as approachable and a person with a birthday just like them. If you don't want to make a birthday cake, another fun and easy meal you can make instead is blueberry pancakes topped with whipped-cream and blueberries for breakfast.  

A fun craft that we made, was construction paper "Baby Marys." We then added a heart with the "Hail Mary" prayer on our "Baby Marys." By incorporating this prayer into our craft, it provided us with a great opportunity to review and say the prayer with our children and also discuss that from the moment of Mary's conception she was blessed among all women, so as a new born baby she was already full of grace and blessed among all women too.  Pray for us, Blessed Mother, as we celebrate you today!


Craft Materials and Finished product: 




Birthday Party Celebration: 





Blueberry pancakes with whipped-cream for breakfast! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...