Skip to main content

Our Lady of Fatima

Our Lady of Fatima: Feast Day May 13th 

The feast day of Our Lady of Fatima holds a very special place in my heart. The year that I was pregnant with my second child, I decided to do a Marian Consecration. I read the book, 33 Days to Morning Glory: A Do it Yourself Retreat in Preparation for Marian Consecration, by Father Michael Gaitley, and the day I was to consecrate myself to the Blessed Virgin Mary so that she could bring me closer to her son, was May 13th—the feast of Our Lady of Fatima. Not only was May 13th that year the feast day of Our Lady of Fatima, but it was also Mother's Day and the day before my baby was due. Ever since consecrating myself to Mary that day, I have felt closer to Mary as Our Lady of Fatima and enjoy reading everything I can about her message given at Fatima. This year, May 13, 2021, is even more special to me, because it’s the day I renewed my Marian consecration and enrolled in the Militia Immaculata. The Militia Immaculata (MI), founded by Saint Maximilian Kolbe in 1917, has the mission of bringing the world to Jesus through Mary. If you’re interested in learning more about the MI, here is a write-up from EWTN, and here is how to make your Marian consecration from the MI’s website. 

To help my family celebrate this wonderful day, we made "Lady Fingers for Our Lady of Fatima", using a recipe from “Allrecipes,” as a treat, and told our children about Our Lady of Fatima. My husband also read them the book Our Lady of Fatima, by Father Lovasik S.V.D. We also taught them the Fatima Prayer that the Blessed Virgin Mary asked Saint Francisco, Saint Jacinta and Blessed Sister Lucia to say as they prayed the rosary. I hope you and your family are able to celebrate this beautiful feast day!  

Celebrating with More Food:

Since our Lady appeared in Fatima, Portugal, for today’s feast day make a yummy Portuguese inspired feast for dinner. We made delicious “Carne Vinho de Alhos” using a recipe from “Catholic Cuisine,” and paired it with “Nando’s Portuguese Spicy Rice” If you don’t like a lot of spice, I recommended cutting the amount of cayenne pepper in half, since I lit my family’s mouths on fire! The flavors in both dishes are very bold and yummy!

Additional Reading:

Here is an article, from EWTN, about Our Lady of Fatima and her message to oSaint Jacinta, Saint Francisco and Blessed Sister Lucia when she appeared to them in 1917. It’s a very good read!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...