Skip to main content

Our Lady of Sorrows

Our Lady of Sorrows: Feast Day Sept. 15th

The sorrowful mother. As a mother, I honestly have no idea how the Blessed Virgin Mary was able to witness the crucifixion of her son, and the amount of unwavering faith she possessed to know and trust that it was all part of God’s plan, even though she most likely did not fully understand why Jesus must suffer and die the way he did. I know, as a mom, my heart breaks a little when my children cry from merely scraping their knee or tripping and busting a lip. How full of grace, faith, and strong our Spiritual Mother Mary is! 

Today as my family celebrated the feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows, we focused on “Mary’s Seven Sorrows,” the letter “S,” and the number “7.” We first baked scones, and added blueberries and cinnamon to the batter for Mary. I always like adding cinnamon to things we bake for Mary, because it is sweet and fragrant smelling. I guess I always imagine that Mary radiates a sweet and beautiful aroma. This is my go to scone recipe that I make all the time. It’s quick, simple, and you can add any spice, zest, dried or fresh fruit you like to it. 



Craft time!

After making scones, we made a red construction paper heart and tapped an artificial flower to it to represent Mary’s heart. I then wrote the “Seven Sorrows” Mary endured on paper swords and discussed them one by one with my children as they tapped them “piercing” her heart. I chose this for our activity, because images and statues of Our Lady of Sorrows often depict her heart being pierced by swords.

Mary’s Seven Sorrows:

1. Simeon’s prophecy

2. Flight to Egypt 

3. Loosing the child Jesus at the temple 

4. Mary witnessing Jesus carrying the cross on his way to his crucifixion 

5. Jesus’ crucifixion 

6. The lance being thrust into Jesus’ side 

7. Jesus’ burial  


Letter “S” and number “7” lesson:

My four year old and I practiced writing the letter “S” and discussed that the following words begin with the letter “S:” sorrows, sword, seven, scones, square

I then worked with my four year old on tracing the number “7” and then had her count and color “7” squares. 



If you are looking for something additional to do as a family, praying the “Divine Mercy Chaplet” today is a beautiful and wonderful pray that is also easy for children to learn. This article discuss how it is great to pray this prayer today as well as on the feast of The Exaltation of the Holy Cross (yesterday, Sept. 14th). Our Lady of Sorrows, pray for us! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...