Skip to main content

Saint Mary Magdalene

Saint Mary Magdalene: Feast Day July 22nd


The life of Saint Mary Magdalene, patroness of the contemplative life, hairstylists, pennant sinners, and perfumers, amongst other things, provides a beautiful example for everyone. Sinners and saints alike can learn from her example of seeing her own faults, accepting spiritual healing, living in the world and realizing she was called to live outside/above the world, and seeing Jesus' for who He really is and kneeling before Him, offering Him all she had, flaws and all, is inspiring and something to strive for! As we celebrate Saint Mary Magdalene today, let us think how we can give and live our entire lives to and for Christ. Humbling herself, knowing she was in the presence of the Lord, the Son of God, Saint Mary Magdalene washed Jesus’ feet with oil and dried them with her hair. What would you do if you were in the presence of the Lord? How would you act? Guess what, every time you go to Mass, you are in the presence of the Lord! Every week, you have the opportunity, to humble yourself before the Lord, present in the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist! How will you give and live for the Lord?


Celebrating with Food:


No saint's feast day is compete without food! Today, make Spanish Magdalenas, which are breakfast muffins traditionally eaten on Mary Magdalene's feast day in Spain, using this recipe from the website, "Catholic Culture." Spanish Magdalenas are super yummy, and easy to make! I love the hint of lemon in these muffins, because it provides just the right combination of a citrus, yet sweet blend, giving them a delicious flavor. I use 1/4 teaspoon of lemon extract instead of lemon zest when I don’t have a lemon on hand, and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla.

Celebrating with Crafts:

To celebrate the feast day of Saint Mary Magdalene, my family makes perfume bottle ornaments that we hang on our Christmas tree to remember this saint. We got this great idea from the website "Catholic Inspired." We also color a picture of Mary Magdalene washing Jesus’ feet (from the website "Coloring Home"), and discuss the symbolicalness of her actions. Another craft/activity that you and your family can do today is an activity I call "Walk in Her Footsteps." For this activity, you will need to print the template I made, and have your children color and cut out the footprints. Once your footprints are colored and cut out, move around the house with your children to locations that would be similar to where Mary Magdalene went with Jesus:
  • Bookshelf- Have your children stand on their footprints and then sit down and listen to a Bible story about Jesus' ministry (read about one of the miracles He performed, the Sermon on the Mount, etc.)
  • Kitchen- Have your children stand on their footprints by the table and then sit down. Eat a snack of bread and goldfish or tunafish sandwiches and discuss Jesus' feeding of the 5,000 with the fish and barley loaves.
  • Crucifix- Have your children stand on their footprints in front your family's crucifix like Mary Magdalene stood at the foot of Jesus' cross, and pray the "Our Father" together.
(Here is what the template looks like)

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time celebrating Saint Mary Magdalene today!

Mary Magdalene, humble of heart, in your actions and your acceptance of the Lord's saving grace, pray for us, that like you, we too may be witnesses of God's love and mercy to everyone we encounter, pointing them to him through our humbleness. Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...