Skip to main content

Saint Teresa of Calcutta (Mother Teresa)

 Saint Teresa of Calcutta: Feast Day Sept. 5th 


"Do small things with great love." Not only did Mother Teresa say this, but as she served the poorest of the poor in India, she helped remind the world to see Jesus in the eyes of every human-being. Today, as my family celebrated this holy and influential saint of the 20th century, we incorporated two cultures into our meal. Since Mother Teresa was born in Macedonia to parents of Albanian descent, we made Albanian inspired "Tarator sauce"—modifying it to make it a bit more like Tzatziki sauce— for our appetizer, and served it with roasted zucchini, red bell peppers and tomatoes. For our main course, we made Indian chicken curry with basmati rice and naan bread, since Mother Teresa spent most of her life serving the poor in India. There are lots of recipes for homemade chicken curry sauce and naan bread, but if you want to keep it simple, you can buy pre-made curry sauce and naan bread—that's what my family did. The craft that we made in honor of Mother Teresa, was blue and white crosses (representing the colors worn by the religious order she founded—The Order of the Missionaries of Charity), which we then taped around a candle to make a centerpiece for our table.        


    (My four year old daughter decided to get creative and draw her own cross and color it purple)








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...