Skip to main content

Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus

Saint Therese of the Child Jesus: Feast Day Oct. 1

Today as we celebrate Saint Therese of the Child Jesus, also known as Saint Therese of Lisieux, my family chose to focus on her beautiful title: “Saint Therese the Little Flower.” Even though she only lived a short life, Saint Therese’s book,“Story of a Soul,” and her concept of “The Little Way” have inspired many throughout the world; and she was declared a Doctor of the Church. 

Activities and Crafts:

Focusing on the “flower theme” with my toddlers, we began our day by making paper flowers. Here is a great website (“First Palette”) with directions for folding Paper flowers . If your children are older, you can use these printable templates, from the same website, for younger children. After making paper flowers, we then learned about the parts of a flower using these worksheets from “Itsy Bitsy Fun” (scroll to the bottom of the page to click on worksheets for parts of a plant and parts of a plant diagram). This website Simply Kinder also provides another free downloadable parts of a plant worksheet. You can extend this activity by also discussing and completing the Life cycle of a plant worksheetsfrom SuperStar Worksheets. 

Another activity we did today, was a modified flower counting math lesson from Montessori-inspired flower math activities . Instead of using flowers, we used dried beans, and I added subtraction to the activity as well as addition. I put the counting sheet in a page protector so my four year old could use dry-erase markers to write and re-write numbers. 


The final activity we did was to create a “Little Way Prayer Book.” We printed a couple of  Prayers written by Saint Therese and then I helped my children write one of their own. We then put them together in a construction paper book for them to keep on their nightstands for nighttime prayers. 



The Little Flower Meal:

For lunch we served flower-shaped tuna fish sandwiches and tomato soup. We used this recipe from Kraft for decorating inspiration. 

I hope you find these activities helpful for you and your family as you celebrate Saint Therese the Little Flower.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...