Skip to main content

The Most Holy Name of Mary

The Most Holy Name of Mary:

Have you ever wondered how many names/titles there are that reference the Blessed Virgin Mary? That was something I wondered today when I read the title for today’s feast day. After doing a Google search, I found this list of names/titles from Secular Franciscan USA. It is a wonderful compiling of all of Mary’s beautiful names/titles that was revised in 2017. 

Family Activities: Today, you can have each family member select their favorite name for Mary from the list and draw a picture illustrating her and her title. You can also write a family prayer honoring Mary and her holy name incorporating your favorite titles for her and say this prayer together at dinner or before bed. You can also make a long paper chain, writing one of Mary’s names/titles on each slip of paper, and as you add a link say the name/title and then “Pray for Us.” If your children are older, you could also put all of Mary’s names/titles into a word search using this free puzzle maker from Discovery Education, and have your children find them. 

Celebrating Through Food:

Serve alphabet soup and mini alphabet cookies for lunch, since Mary has a lot of names/titles. Your kids will have fun trying to spell Mary and some of her names using the cookie letters. 



Additional Activity:

You and your family can also watch and listen to the book, “Our Lady’s Wardrobe,” by Anthony DeStefano. This book is filled with various beautiful names that we use to refer to Mary. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time celebrating today!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...