Skip to main content

The Queenship of Mary

The Queenship of Mary: August 22nd 


To celebrate today's feast day, we had a tea party with the theme: “Coronation Tea with the Queen.” We served hot tea, a crown-cheese plater  (idea from “Catholic Cuisine”) with pita chips, and blueberries. We then added two additional chairs to our table and reserved/labeled them for "Mary" and "Jesus." For our table's centerpiece, we placed a statue of Mary and dressed her with a crown and ribbon, then added a candle and flowers beside her.


During the tea party, we wore homemade paper crowns. We used these free printable king and queen crown templates from “The Crafting Chicks”. We cut these out and my kids decorated theirs with sparkly stickers and different colored pieces of construction paper. For a fun activity that could last all day, I printed off a picture of Mary and several crowns using this template from “Real Life at Home”, and then using a plastic page cover (or laminate), an envelope, string, and painter's tape (since I didn't have velcro handy), I made a "Pick a Crown Activity" that was a real hit with my four year old daughter. She was able to change Mary's crown and "re-crown" her for days! The last activity we did was learning how to write the letter "Q" using this practice page, from “The Catholic Kid” and our final crown-themed snack was watermelon slices carved to look like crowns (this idea came from Catholic Cuisine). We had a wonderful time celebrating the Queenship of Mary as a family!























template

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...