Skip to main content

Amen

Amen: 

How many times have you said the word “Amen?” If you think about it, you’ve probably said it thousands of times in your life, but have you ever stopped to wonder what the word “Amen” means? I know I never did until recently when my daughter asked me what it meant after praying, and I had to admit that I didn’t know, but it’s always said at the end of prays. When I looked up the word “Amen,” I discovered that its origin is from the Hebrew language and that in English it translates to “it is so” or “so it be” (Dictionary.com/amen). So, when we prayer a pray, such as “The Our Father,” and resound “Amen” at its conclusion, we are in fact declaring our confirmation of the prayer—that the words we have spoken are indeed true and, therefore, the truth. 

Words have power. The Bible tells us, in the Gospel According to John, that “In the beginning was the Word; the Word was in God’s presence, and the Word was God” (John 1:1), and “The Word became flesh...” (John 1:14). From the beginning of time, God shows us the power of The Word (Jesus), and the power of His truth, creation, and gift of life. If we, therefore, think about the language of the words we say, in them is power—albeit entirely different than the power of The Word. At a basic level, our words contain the power of tone and meaning. So, the next time your lips proclaim “Amen” when you pray, think about the depth of what you are saying and feel and sing within your heart your belief in the truth you proclaim. I know I sure will! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...