Skip to main content

Our Lady of the Rosary

Our Lady of the Rosary: Feast Day Oct. 7th

Today as we celebrate the feast day of Our Lady of the Rosary, you and your family can embrace a “rose theme” for the day. 

Food:


If you’re up for trying something new, have tea time with rose and mint tea, which can be purchased at most grocery stores, and serve it with either rosemary shortbread cookies or apple rosemary tea bread.  If you make the cookies, you and your children can cut them out in the shape of roses if you have a rose shaped cookie cutter. 





Prayer:

Try praying a decade of the rosary together as a family or the entire rosary together if your children are older. This article has helpful ways to teach your kids how to pray the rosary. A friend of mine shared the website RosaryCenter.org, and their how to pray the rosary section has a wonderful section on how to pray the rosary using scripture that you and your family can also try.

Crafts:

For younger kids, you can let them pick a rose coloring page to color. And for older kids, you can make paper roses using this template and directions from Martha Stewart.

If you and your family are up for a challenge, you can even try making homemade rose perfume. We made it today for the first time—-it didn’t smell very rosy, so if we make it again I would add the rose water or rose essential oil that the recipe suggests as an “extra.” It did look pretty, however, and my daughter has enjoyed spraying people with it all day, so as something that made her happy it was a success in that way. We added a little almond extract to give it some kind of a scent. 



Every time you use the perfume, you will be reminded of Our Lady of the Rosary and reminded to pray the rosary. At Fatima Mary (as our Lady of Fatima) instructed St. Jacinta, St. Francisco, and Blessed Sr. Lucia to pray the rosary every day for peace. I know I often fail at doing this, but today is a great reminder to pick up my rosary and try praying it more often. 

I hope you and your family have a wonderful day today celebrating Mary as Our Lady of the Rosary! Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...