Ideas to celebrate the Liturgical Year of the Roman Catholic Church as a family and build your Domestic Church.
Search This Blog
Saint Teresa of Avila
Saint Teresa of Avila: Feast Day Oct. 15th
Saint Teresa of Avila, Doctor of the Church, is a beautiful inspiration for not only how to pray, but also how to love the Blessed Virgin Mary as a spiritual mother. One thing that I personally love about Saint Teresa of Avila is that she always reflected upon Christ’s presence in the Holy Eucharist. Back in January of this year, I began to reflect upon how I approach Jesus in the Holy Eucharist, if I truly believe—which I do—that Jesus makes himself present to us through the mystery of the Holy Eucharist, then how could I remind myself of this wonderful gift and humble myself before him? For me, I decided that I would genuflect/kneel before receiving Jesus in the Eucharist and mentally recite: “My Lord and my God.” I believe by doing this small act of reverence I am able to remind myself that I am truly in the presence of the King of Kings. How wonderful is that to know that we are in the presence of such an amazing King, a King who is waiting for us, as we approach Him in the communion line? It’s a mystery that is unfathomable, yet by the grace of faith, we know it is true!
After receiving Jesus veiled in the Holy Eucharist, I then recite the following prayer: “Please nourish my heart, my mind, my body and my soul to do your will.” Saying this short prayer has helped remind me to not take Jesus in the Eucharist for granted. As you and your family celebrate Saint Teresa of Avila today, pray for her intercession to help you always love and believe in Jesus’ true presence in the Holy Eucharist. Here is a beautiful Prayer written by Saint Teresa that you and your family can also pray. I hope you and your family have a blessed day celebrating Saint Teresa of Avila and growing in faith together!
Celebrating Saint Teresa Through Food:
Today as my family celebrated Saint Teresa of Avila, we made Spanish torrijas since she was from Spain. This tasty treat is the Spanish version of French Toast and makes a delicious treat for breakfast or lunch and is a meal kids of any age can help prepare.
Crafts:
A traditional Spanish craft is paper rosettes. These colorful folded paper flowers are used as decorations for parties. Here are paper rosette/medallion templates you can use, or you can tape two pieces of scrapbook paper together like I did below. You can also tape two pieces of construction paper together if you don’t have scrapbook paper.
Below is a helpful video, from Paper Source, that shows how to fold/make a paper rosette.
Additional Resources:
Here is an article for further reading about St. Teresa of Avila that you and your family can read and discuss together.
You and your family can also watch the My Catholic Family cartoon below, from EWTN, about Saint Teresa of Avila.
Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer: On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...
Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date. Afte...
Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...
Comments
Post a Comment