Skip to main content

Angels

Angels:

When your kids’ aunt, and the godmother of your daughter, stops by and tells you it’s “Angel Week” on the “God Minute Podcast,” you take advantage of her teaching your children about the hierarchy of some of the choirs of angels. Having family members share parts of the faith with your children is not only a blessing, but an opportunity for your children to witness the faith outside of their immediate family. Yes, it’s true that as parents we are the first educators of our children, but as the saying goes, “it takes a village to raise a family.” Today has taught me not only the importance of having family members help teach your kids the faith, using their gifts, but also reminded me of the important role godparents play in the lives of children. As Catholics, we choose godparents to help us as parents raise our children in the Christian faith—today was a beautiful reminder of this for me as a mom. How can your extended family and friends help you teach your children about the faith and/or how to practice it? Think about that, and then get your “village” involved. 

Additional resources:

Here is a list of the nine choirs of angels from EWTN with some explanation of them.

Here is also a graphic organizer explaining the nine hierarchies of angels, produced by Cristobal Almanza, which has been shared on social media by author and theologian Scott Hahn. 

Here is the link to the God Minute podcast website. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...