Skip to main content

Our Lady of Guadalupe

Our Lady of Guadalupe: Feast Day Dec. 12th 

Today we celebrate the Blessed Virgin Mary as Our Lady of Guadalupe. In the fifteen hundreds, she appeared to Saint Juan Diego in Mexico. Through her appearance and Juan Diego’s faith and dedication in conveying her message to his bishop, thousands of Native Mexicans converted to Catholicism. Our Lady of Guadalupe is the Patron of Mexico and the Patron of the Americas. 

Growing up, I loved watching the television show “Wishbone” on PBS. Below is a YouTube video of the “Wishbone Jaun Diego Episode” that you and your family can enjoy watching together today.

Celebrating Through Food and Prayer:

Today, have a fiesta to celebrate! Make tacos, or your favorite Mexican cuisine, and listen to mariachi band music while you eat. Place a candle of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the center of your table and say the prayer written on it. You can purchase a candle, like the one I have pictured at the beginning of this post, from Kroger for less than $3.00. Also, if you can, attend Mass today. 

Craft: 

Today make Mexican “Papel Picado” party banners. The materials you will need are: colored tissue paper, scissors, string and glue. I found this great YouTube video that explains how to make them. Buenos suerte! (Good luck!).

The Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe:

The image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, that Our Lady left miraculously imprinted upon Juan Diego’s tilma, is amazing! Check out this article, from Catholic Education, to learn more, as well as this article from Catholic News Agency. Aletia also has an interesting article about what can be seen when you look into the eyes of Our Lady of Guadalupe’s image. 

Happy feast of Out Lady of Guadalupe to you and your family! Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...