Skip to main content

Bake Bread and Reflect

Bake Bread and Reflect:

While baking sandwich bread for my family, I started thinking about the Eucharist. I know I’ve probably heard a priest, at some point in my life, relay this thought provoking insight during a homily, yet still, how amazing is it that Jesus chose to be present in bread? Every culture in the world has some form of bread. People love the smell of it baking and taste of it, and when quarantine started, bread recipes became one of the most researched topics. God, in his infinite wisdom, chose to make himself present in a food we as people not only love to eat, but a food that is eaten throughout the world. Making bread is an act of love. It requires patience as you wait for yeast to bloom and bread to rise during multiple rises, and patience as it bakes. And in the end, when it’s pulled from the oven, patience is again needed as you wait for it to cool. Yet after all this waiting, a wonderful and delicious product has been made!

We need God; and like making bread, God through his love for us, patiently kneads and shapes us into the people he knows we can become. When we receive the gift of Jesus, fully present in the Eucharist, we are leavened as we welcome his divine life within us. So, try making a loaf of bread, and as you go through the various steps and points of waiting while making it, take a moment to reflect upon the triune love of God to reveal and leave himself present in the Holy Eucharist, in bread for us to eat.






Here is the recipe I used to make my bread from the website “Tasty.” Serve it with jelly of your choice and enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...