Skip to main content

Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God

Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God: Jan. 1st 

Today, we celebrate the Blessed Virgin Mary as the Mother of God. It’s amazing to think about our creator being held in the womb of the Virgin Mary, her body being the first tabernacle holding the true presence of Jesus. Amazing to think that the human body of Jesus received his DNA for his human flesh from a being he created when he could have so easily made himself his own flesh. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit show us just how much they love humanity and want to be a part of our families through the beautiful act of the incarnation. In my house, I have a cross-stitched sign that my grandmother made that reads, “The greatest gift a father can give his children is to love their mother.” God loved his mother so much that he gave her to us to be our spiritual mother. As we ring in the New Year it is only fitting that Mary, the Mother of God, we celebrate you today!

Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen 

Celebrating Through Food:

Since the Blessed Virgin Mary was the first tabernacle, make deli meat and cheese sandwiches which can be opened and closed like the tabernacle at church. As we honor the Blessed Virgin Mary today as the Mother of God, slice the cheese in the shape of a Marian cross. You can also serve your sandwiches with “Sun Chips” to symbolize Jesus the Son of God. 

Celebrating Through Crafts:

Since Mary was the first tabernacle, make a paper tabernacle that opens. This is a fun craft that can be used to explain the purpose of the tabernacle at church. I’ve included links to PDF templates I’ve created below, as well as pictures of how to put the tabernacle together. There is also a link to a coloring page I made of a tabernacle as an easier craft for younger children. 

Tabernacle Temple Pieces (this PDF looks like this)


Tabernacle coloring page (PDF looks like this)


Materials needed:
  • White printer paper
  • Green construction paper 
  • Glue stick 
  • Crayons, markers or colored pencils 
  • Scissors 
Directions:

Step 1: Take a piece of printer paper and fold it in half hamburger-style.




Step 2: Draw a door in the center of the folded paper with a cross on it. Cut the door on three sides so the door can be opened and remain attached to the paper.






Step 3: Print the tabernacle template pieces, cut them out, and then glue them on the folded paper with the door. 



Step 4: Color the tabernacle that’s been glued together.


Step 5: Cut a piece of green construction paper into the shape of a veil and glue it over the door, making sure it can still be lifted up.


Step 6: Draw a ciborium inside the tabernacle door (looks like a chalice) to show where the Holy Eucharist is housed after the Liturgy of the Eucharist.


I hope you and your family have a very Happy New Year and wonderful day celebrating our spiritual mother! Mary, Mother of God, pray for us!




 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...