Skip to main content

Teaching Your Kids the Parts of Mass and about Vocations Through Play

Teaching Your Kids the Parts of Mass and about Vocations Through Play: 

Lots of children learn by doing, and one of the best ways to help foster this is to provide opportunities for play. So why not teach your children the parts of Mass through play? Playing Mass not only appeals to visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners, but it also will help teach your children the different parts/order of the Mass—Introductory Rites,The Liturgy of the Word, The Liturgy of the Eucharist, and the Concluding Rites. The next time your family attends Mass, your children will have a better understanding of what’s taking place, because they will have been pretending to say Mass at home. The program, Catechist of the Good Shepherd, is a Montessori-styled program that helps children learn about Mass through the use of manipulatives and play. Sometimes local parishes offer this program for children ages 3-6, so check and see if your parish has it, and if they don’t, maybe you could start this ministry. The Mass set that my kids use was purchased off of Etsy as a combined Feast of Saint Nicholas gift from my husband and I and both sets of their grandparents (my wonderful mother-in-law sewed the priestly vestment for my sons). Catholic Icing, however, has an inexpensive way to make a Homemade Mass Kit  that you can make, or if you have older children, they can help you make. 

Having your children learn about Mass, through interactive play, also provides a wonderful opportunity to discuss vocations— the Sacrament of Holy orders and call to the religious life. Sometimes, I think as parents we forget the importance of discussing these paths with our children because maybe, deep down, we are a little worried they will end up choosing them and will live in a cloistered convent or monastery where we won’t be able to see them. As Catholic parents, however, instead of being fearful, I believe we have the responsibility to open the door for our children to inquire/learn about these vocations, so that they see these are also paths that we will support. Will one of my children become a priest or nun? Maybe and maybe not; but learning that they can consider vocations as a path is something my husband and I feel will only help deepen their faith. So the next time your child/children misbehave during Mass, instead of scolding them afterwards, seize the opportunity to help them learn about Mass through play and discuss vocations as an option for what they might want and be called to be when they grow up.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...