Skip to main content

Read the Bible:

Read the Bible:

How many times have you read your favorite book? For many of us, we’ve probably read it at least twice, and probably even more times than that. From the age span of 11 to 19, I remember devouring the Harry Potter series. With each new book release, I’d spend hours a day reading about Harry and his friends’ magical adventures, and in between releases, I would go back and re-read previous books again. It took me a while, but when I was in grad school, and contemplating a lot of things, I started wondering—why had I never read the Bible? Sure, every three years the Catholic Church completes its cycle of reading the Bible at Mass and then begins reading it again, but why had I never actually sat down and read the Bible? Why had I never opened the most important book ever written? The greatest love story of all time? So, I got out my Bible my Sunday School teacher gifted me for Christmas in the third grade, and I made a Lenten promise that year that I would read the Bible in its entirety from Genesis to Revelation in one year. I failed in the one year mark—it ended up taking me a year and a few months—but I succeeded in persevering!

The questions I ask myself now, however, are why have I not re-read it like I’ve re-read so many other books? And I wonder, how many more things will I continue to learn from God’s word if I re-read it? So, I have a challenge. If you’ve never read the entire Bible, make that your goal this year. If you have read it, then I challenge you to re-read it. Read it aloud to your children, if they are older and can read, take turns reading and discuss what you’ve read. If you finish it in a year, that’s awesome, but if it takes you longer that’s awesome too, because you see, growing in your relationship with God is what really matters, and reading  the Bible is an active step in growing that relationship.

Resources:

If you’re an auditory learner and like podcasts, Ascension Press has a podcast, “Read the Bible in a Year”, with Father Mike Schmitz. 

If you’re a visual learner, you can download this printable plan for reading the Bible in a year from Aleteia. 

If you’d rather start by reading the Gospels, I recommend starting with the Gospel, According to John. Dynamic Catholic has a wonderful Bible Study, Turning Point, which is focused on the Gospel, According to John. I’ve led this Bible Study, and it’s beautiful! It contains videos, readings, and discussions. You can also read the Gospel, According to John, as you read the book 33 Days to Greater Glory, by Father Michael Gaitley. Father Gaitley’s book also has access to a free audio reading of the Gospel According, to John. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...