Skip to main content

Saint Angela Merici

Saint Angela Merici: Feast Day Jan. 27th 

Today we celebrate Saint Angela Merici. After reading about her, as a mother, I find Saint Angela to be extremely inspiring and a good role model. During her life, she founded the first teaching congregation of women in the Church, where she made it her mission to educate women in the faith, so that they could teach their children the faith and be able to build strong faith filled families. Building the Domestic Church of the family was definitely important in Saint Angela’s lifetime, but I believe it is even more important today. The family has always been the building block of society, and as many Saints have verbalized, “when the family goes, so goes society.” You and your spouse, as a Catholic mom and dad, are the first catechists in your children’s faith. Today, pray for Saint Angela’s intercession to help your family’s faith life flourish and grow!

Celebrating Through Food:

Since Saint Angela was from Italy, make grilled chicken Parmesan, breaded with Italian bread crumbs and extra Italian seasoning, for dinner. Slice the chicken into strips once it’s cooked and serve over spaghetti with marinara sauce. For dessert, make  “Italian Sprinkle” cookies using this tasty and easy recipe from “Taste of Home” (I substituted butter in place of shortening).



Celebrating Through a Craft:

Using paper and crayons or markers, make a picture of your family holding hands and standing on a rock that says “Jesus.” Explain to your children that Jesus is the cornerstone in your family and that your family needs Him and your faith in Him to flourish and share your gifts with the world. It’s only through Jesus that we can do anything.


Additional Information:

Here is a great article, from Franciscan Media, about Saint Angela for further reading if you are interested.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...