Skip to main content

Teach the Sacraments and Let God’s Light Shine

Teach the Sacraments and Let God’s Light Shine:

As Catholics, we are so blessed to have seven sacraments available to us during our lifetimes! Although some of the sacraments can only be experienced once in a person’s life (e.g. Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Matrimony or Holy Orders), the sacraments of the Holy Eucharist and Reconciliation can be received regularly, and the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick whenever there is a need. So what exactly is a sacrament? In simplified terms, a sacrament is an opportunity to receive grace from God. As defined in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, grace is favor, the free undeserved help God gives us. Through the sacraments, we have amazing opportunities to experience God's gift of grace and allow Him to work through our lives!

When you look at the sacraments, they can be divided into three parts: (1) Sacraments of Initiation into the Church—Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation, (2) Sacraments of Healing—Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick, and (3) Sacraments of Serving— Holy Matrimony and Holy Orders. 

Teaching your children about the sacraments and living them is an important part in building the faith foundation of your children. How do your children see you approach Holy Eucharist? Have your children witnessed their parents going to Reconciliation? Have they gone to Reconciliation more than once? How is the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony lived out and witnessed for your children? 

When I was three and battling leukemia in the hospital, my parents had our parish priest come to give me the Anointing of the Sick, although I don't recommend throwing popcorn at the priest that comes to pray and/or anoint you like I did, don’t be afraid to receive this sacrament. Often, I think people think they need to be on their death bed to receive this sacrament and the graces it provides, but that’s not the case. People can receive Anointing of the Sick for emotional, mental, and physical sicknesses throughout their lives.

Today, discuss the beauty of the sacraments with your children. Help them prepare for and then celebrate the ones they receive only once, and bring those that can be received more than once regularly into your family life. As a craft to help your children remember the sacraments, make a collage that depicts all seven sacraments with images. You can also make a circle that lists the sacraments around it to illustrate the sacramental life of the Church and turn the circle into a sorting game to learn the sacraments and their categories. Experience and live the Sacraments you’ve been blessed to receive, and allow the divine graces poured into you to help God’s light in you shine out into the world!

Dear Lord, help me and my family to live out the sacraments we have received. Help us to live out our baptismal vows and faith and love for you in ways that allow your light to shine forth in our lives. Amen.





Additional Resource:

Below is a great video, from Ascension Press, that discusses the sacraments of the church you and your family can watch together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...