Skip to main content

Saint Charles Lwanga and Companions

Saint Charles Lwanga and Companions: Feast Day June 3rd


Would you have the courage to profess your Christian faith, refusing to renounce it, if you knew professing your faith would mean your death? For those of us in countries where Christianity is the prominent faith, we might feel too far removed from this question. But like Saint Charles Lwanga, a Christian page in Uganda who continued to profess his Catholic faith and was condemned to death by King Mwanga and burned alive, this question is a reality for our Christian brothers and sisters in China, the Middle East, and other countries and regions of the world where Christian minorities are persecuted. In modern times, we like to think that Christian martyrdom is something of the past, that surely, with all of civilization's advancements, we have long moved away from such barbarities. Unfortunately, however, this is not the case. Not only is it true that the physical martyrdom of Christians still takes place throughout the world today, but there is also the silent martyrdom of those who hold to Christian beliefs by today's cancel-culture. Saint Charles Lwanga, patron of youth and Catholic action, is an inspiration for us in modern times to continue to profess our faith with courage, love, and wisdom in an ever growing secular culture. Saint Charles Lwanga, and fellow martryed companions, pray for us to have the courage to proclaim our faith in these ever growing difficult times.     

Celebrating with Food:

I don't know about you, but I love the taste of curry. With all of its warm and flavorful spices, it not only smells amazing as its aroma wafts throughout the house, but it tastes delicious! India and Thailand are not the only places that you can find curry in the local cuisine. Curry is also an East African staple. To celebrate Saint Charles Lwanga and Companions, I made this delicious Ugandan curry-potato recipe from the website “Demand Africa.” It’s a little spicy, so if you don’t like a lot of spice you can cut the cayenne pepper in half.  I then paired this side dish with fired eggs and salad.  We’ve also made Ugali, a cooked corn flour and water dish, using this recipe from “Food.com.” In the cookbook, Feast: Real Food, Reflections, and Simple Living for the Christian Year, the authors mention you can also add salt, pepper, and butter to taste to your Ugali. 


Celebrating with a Craft and Prayer:

Basket weaving is an art form found in Uganda as well as other countries across Africa. Here are directions, from the website "Instructales,” for how to make a construction paper woven basket that you and your children can make today as you celebrate Saint Charles Lwanga and Companions. You can then use your basket as a prayer basket. Write your family’s prayer intentions on slips of paper and place them in the basket, praying them together as a family each week. At the end of the week, you can empty your prayer intentions and write new ones. Not only does this activity allow you and your family to physically build something together (the construction paper basket), but it also allows you to build your family’s prayer life.

I hope you and your family have a blessed day celebrating Saint Charles Lwanga and Companions, and may he and his fellow martyrs continue to inspire you and your family to live your faith! 

Additional Resources:

Here is an article about Saint Charles Lwanga and Companions from the “Catholic News Agency,” as well as an article from “Franciscan Media,” if you would like to learn more about him and his companions.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...