Skip to main content

Saint Rose of Lima

Saint Rose of Lima: Feast Day August 23

"Apart from the cross, there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven." These beautiful and thought provoking words, spoken by Saint Rose of Lima, challenge us to recognize and embrace the various crosses that we carry during our lives. As we accept and carry our crosses, we come to realize that during these moments of struggle, we are strengthened by Christ's love and filled with the graces we need to persevere and be molded ever closer into the saints we are meant to become. We learn, through the cross, that love contains pain, suffering and sacrifice, and that love— true love— is a complete and unconditional surrender of self for the love of another. It wasn't until I became a mother, however, that I truly began to understand this reality and grow to this point in my faith journey. Through childbirth, I learned the beauty of pain and sacrifice for love of another and that pain is a gift. Bringing the life of a child into this world is an act of love and sacrifice. For almost fifteen hours, I prayed asking for Mary's intercession to help me during the birth of my first child. During the labor of my second child, I prayed a Hail Mary during each contraction, and then, during the labor of my third child, I prayed prayers from the Divine Mercy Chaplet and offered up the pain of my labor for the conversion of sinners, for my country, and as a prayer begging for the atrocity of abortion to end. No one likes pain, but I've found that in pain, you are strengthened and bestowed with graces as you carry your cross, and that in the agony of pain you can find beauty, sacrifice, and ultimately pure and selfless love. During her life, Saint Rose of Lima offered up many sacrifices to the Lord. As we celebrate her feast today, let us think how we can embrace the crosses in our lives, and offer up our pains and sufferings for the love of another. Saint Rose of Lima, pray for us!       

Celebrate with Food: 

For a tasty dinner with a bit of a spicy kick, make "Pollo a la Brasa" (a Peruvian grilled chicken dish) using this recipe from "Allrecipes."  You can then serve your chicken with this easy Peruvian garlic rice, using this recipe from "Kroger." The rice is extremely easy to make, so even younger children can help prepare it with some assistance.  



Celebrate with Crafts: 

Besides being the patroness of Peru, South America, and embroiderers, Saint Rose of Lima is also the patroness of gardeners and florists. For a fun floral craft, try making these easy construction paper roses. Below is a quick "How to" video with instructions. Since Saint Rose of Lima said, “Apart from the cross, there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven,” make “Rose-colored-glasses” to remind you to keep your eyes on the cross and stay close to Jesus. Here is a template for making paper Rose-colored-glasses that you can use. I found using pink construction paper works great. You can even hole-punch the part that goes around your ears and attach sting to keep your glasses on.




Celebrate with a Prayer and a Video:

Here is a prayer you and your family can say together, as well as a wonderful cartoon about Saint Rose of Lima from EWTN's "My Catholic Family."

When I am confronted with crosses in my life, Lord give me the courage and strength to embrace them, and like Saint Rose of Lima, help me to offer up my suffering for you and for others. In my pain, help me grow in love for you and my neighbor, and help shape me ever more into the saint you want me to become. Amen.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...