Skip to main content

Saint Juan Diego

Saint Juan Diego: Feast Day Dec. 9th

Today we celebrate Saint Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin, an Aztec man who was visited by the Blessed Virgin Mary as Our Lady of Guadalupe in 1531. Our Lady told Juan Diego that she was "the ever Virgin Holy Mary, Mother of the True God" (Catholic News Agency) and that she wanted a church to be built where she appeared to him. Through his faith in Our Lady and her words, Juan Diego passed her message on to his bishop, and through his humble obedience, was instrumental in helping thousands of Native people to convert to Catholicism. To have a humbleness and faith like Saint Juan Diego is something which we all can be inspired by and strive to emulate.     

Celebrating Through Food:

Since sweet potatoes originated in South America and Central America and spread to Mexico, make sweet-potato and black bean quesadillas. Here is a kid friendly recipe, from Taste of Home, that my family loves! I make the following modifications: I cut my sweet-potatoes into wedges and place them in a dutch oven. I then sprinkle them with olive oil, cover, and cook at 425 degrees for 35 minutes. When you pull them out of the oven, you can mash them directly in the pan with a spoon. I then drain and rinse one can of black beans and mix them directly into the mashed sweet-potatoes (pictures below show these steps). 




My kids don't like pepper-jack cheese, so I add sharp cheddar to their quesadillas. I then serve our quesadillas with Mexican rice and pico de gallo. My mom makes delicious homemade Mexican Rice using this Mexican Rice recipe. With three kids under five, however, I typically buy Goya Mexican Rice because it's easier to make. For dessert, if your family likes a little spice, you can try making Mexican Hot-Chocolate with this recipe from "The Food Network." 

Celebrating Through Crafts:

Have your children color this picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe from “Super Coloring.” You can then discuss with your kids the symbolisms within the picture that led numerous Native people in Mexico to convert to Catholicism. The Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis has this wonderful article that discusses the symbolism found in the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe. 

Additional Reading:

This article, from Catholic News Agency, gives more information about Saint Juan Diego if you and your family are interested in learning more about him.  

Happy Feast of Saint Juan Diego to you and your family! May you have a truly blessed day, and continued blessed Advent! Saint Juan Diego, humble and faithful servant of Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer

Make a Rosary Garden—Planting Flowers and the Seeds of Prayer:  On the lawn outside of my family's parish, there is a stepping-stone Marian-Rosary garden. Often, after attending daily Mass, on warm or non rainy days, my children love to run around the rosary stones, encircling the statue of Mary, and sit upon the garden's benches. The days when they would run around, only able to exclaim the words, "Hail, Mary! Hail, Mary! Hail Mary!" for each stone, are precious treasured memories I hold within my heart. When we entered the pandemic shutdown, in the spring of 2020, I didn't realize just how much I missed the rosary garden tradition my children and I had after Mass. When my husband and I scheduled confession with our pastor, twelve days into the shutdown, we took turns waiting with our children and letting them play and pray in the rosary garden, while we participated in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I'd always desired to make a Mary/Rosary garden in our ba...

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner:

Invite Your Parish Priest Over for Dinner: Four months after moving into our new house, my husband and I decided to invite our parish priest over for dinner and to bless our new home. We still had piles of unpacked boxes, our toddlers were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and my husband and I were a little nervous. Was our home clean enough? Would we be able to engage in good conversations with our guest? When the doorbell rang, our children raced to the door, and began bouncing around, welcoming Father inside. During dinner, we found that the conversations flowed easily. We shared stories about where we grew up, our families, and various other details as we got to know one another outside of church. We laughed as our daughter spilled the beans that my husband and I were expecting our third child, and when we shared our due date, our priest began enthusiastically sharing all sorts of common, as well as some crazy sounding, saint names for days on and near our due date.  Afte...

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Feast Day: Nov. 17th  Saint Elizabeth of Hungary has always held a special place in my heart since she is my confirmation saint. If I'm being honest, when I was reading about saints back in the eighth grade, trying to choose which saint I wanted to take as my patron, my requirements were as follows: (1) She couldn't die a horrible death, (2) She was married with kids, (3) and her life was pretty good allowing her to serve God and others through the blessings she'd been given. In hindsight, my list of "requirements" was probably a little superficial, but now as an adult I focus more on the virtues and saintly qualities of Saint Elizabeth, and find inspiration in how she lived. She was humble, a kind and loving wife and mother, and very generous to the poor. She also made plenty of time to pray and grow in her relationship with the Lord. On her wedding day, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, who was a princess, did not wear a crown. Instead she s...